At Oasis Academy Lord’s Hill all students are set homework appropriate to their age and ability. The curriculum that a student follows should be reflected in the homework that a student is given and should extend the student’s prior learning.
Homework is work that is set to be done outside the timetabled curriculum. It contains an element of independent study in that it is not usually directly supervised by a teacher. However not all homework is done at home. For some students who find it hard to work at home, or for some tasks which may require resources (books, software, equipment) more readily available at the Academy, it is necessary or desirable to carry out the task at the Academy. Our library is available after school for students to be able to complete homework and coursework and revision sessions are provided by subject teachers.
Homework should enable students to:
- Consolidate and extend work covered in class or prepare for new learning activities.
- Access resources not available in the classroom.
- Develop research skills.
- Have an opportunity for independent work.
- Show progress and understanding.
- Provide feedback in the evaluation of teaching.
- Enhance their study skills eg planning, time management and self discipline.
- Take ownership and responsibility for learning.
- Engage parental co-operation and support.
- Create channels for home/Academy dialogue.
As an Academy, we regularly review our Homework Policy and systems for communicating homework to parents and are very pleased to introduce a new facility for parents and students called Epraise.
How can Homework be accessed?
Please log in by clicking here. Once a login has been provided, parents and students can see an individual homework schedule. There are iPhone and Android apps available for free for students and parents. The Epraise service is available and works on all devices using a modern browser such as Internet Explorer 8+, Safari, Google Chrome and Firefox.
Students also record homework set in their planners.
For further information or any issue or concerns about your child's homework content or schedule please contact the subject teacher in the first instance.