The Lord’s Hill LiFe Curriculum
Personal Development at Oasis Academy Lord’s Hill
“Personal development is the belief that you are worth the effort, time and energy needed to develop yourself”
At Lord’s Hill we know that we are all responsible for developing the potential in every learner, extending beyond the academic, technical and vocational, and further developing student’s moral, social and cultural capital. All teachers regard the personal development of their students to be of paramount importance. We are all crucial in preparing our students for their adult lives, teaching them to understand how to engage with society and providing them with plentiful opportunities to do so.
Personal Development is one of the five Ofsted criteria upon which schools are judged. This sits alongside: Overall Effectiveness, Quality of Education, Behaviour and Attitudes, and Leadership and Management.
At Lord’s Hill we endeavour to ensure excellent personal development provision. We are committed to:
- delivering a curriculum which extends beyond the academic, providing for pupils’ broader development
- ensuring that the curriculum and wider work of our school supports pupils to be confident, resilient and independent
- providing high-quality pastoral support
- preparing pupils for life in modern Britain, and teaching how to be responsible, active citizens that contribute positively to society
- effectively promoting equality and diversity within our school
- preparing our pupils for future success in education, employment or training
Oasis Lord’s Hill is adamant that teaching the importance of personal development is a shared responsibility. It’s the secret to separating our learners from the pack, the bridge that carries you toward the goals you have yet to reach, and staff at Lord’s Hill believe that this should not be taught in isolation.
Under the umbrella term LiFe (leadership, identity, Futures and enrichment), student leadership, student voice, extracurricular offer and weekly LiFe tutor sessions make up the personal development strand at Lord’s Hill.
The Oasis ethos is the foundation of the LiFe curriculum and is rooted in what we believe and who we are. Grounded in our Lord’s Hill story, it is an expression of our character; a set of values that inform and provide the lens on everything we do.
- A passion to include
- A desire to treat people equally respecting differences
- A commitment to healthy, open relationships
- A deep sense of hope that things can change and be transformed
- A sense of perseverance to keep going for the long haul
We also believe that this process of continually developing our character and being transformed to become the best version of ourselves is crucially important for every student and staff member alike. Therefore, we actively promote and practise the Oasis 9 Habits which are an invitation to a way of life characterised by being compassionate, patient, humble, joyful, honest, hopeful, considerate, forgiving and self-controlled.
We believe that by becoming people who live this way, by becoming the best version of ourselves, whether we are a staff member or students, we are transformed, and we are also able to play our part in bringing transformation locally, nationally and globally.
In addition to this, we encourage our students to follow The Lord's Hill Way.
Proud, confident, self-aware and Kind students who are Determined in the face of challenge. Our students have a can-do attitude, are willing to take risks, and celebrate diversity, knowing they are fully supported by the Academy and wider community to be the very Best.
Enabling our students to engage beyond the subject, curriculum and classroom; this is the Lord’s Hill LiFe curriculum.